Note to Myself No. 26





This is, I'm afraid, an aspirational message to myself.
I'll admit to gossiping, telling other peoples' stories and
passing judgment about their choices.

It's one of the things I like least about myself.
One of those shadow things.

When my mother-in-law died,
about the time my marriage was imploding,
one of the most remarkable consistencies in the
comments of those who knew her well
(I'm talking friends and colleagues here)
was that she never gossiped.
Didn't discuss other people
or say negative things about anyone.
Including her ex, who she just
 flat-out never discussed 
and believe me, she must have had a wealth
of buried material.

Instead, she kept things on a higher plane.

Isn't that a beautiful eulogy
to aspire to?

Comments

ellen abbott said…
oh yes. I succumb to gossip sometimes and then I am ashamed of myself.
~JarieLyn~ said…
Yes it certainly is a grand thing to aspire to. I don't like talking about other people either but I catch myself doing it more often than I like to admit.
Priti Lisa said…
Just spent some time catching up on your notes Meri...I only have one question...
When you have these made into a book,
would you let me know? I would love a few copies...would make the best gift! Seriously. There are places, even Kodak has one, on the internet where you just make your own book and they print it and bind it for you...they are not too expensive...just let me know when, OK? Notes to Self...that's just brilliant! ♥♥
Annie Jeffries said…
I have a friend like that, Meri. No matter how difficult her life is she never has a bad word to say about anyone. She may talk of sadness but it is always with a note of forgiveness. There aren't many like your mother-in-law or my friend and yes, they are to be aspired to.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You