One of my favourite flowers - Common foxglove is biennial. Since biennial plants live for two growing seasons, but flower only in the second, survival of the first winter is crucial- I learned this lesson the hard way. My father in law told me that one must be untidy around foxgloves. Have you had success growing them Meri?
I adore foxgloves! They are so delicate, the colors and the little bells. Beautiful this lavender and white and the surrounding color. A lovely haiku Meri. Makes me want to tap my toes! xo, Noelle
Great photo. I seem to always see flowers in bunches and not close-up and personal. They look nice, but they look even better in front of my eyes! These are lovely, and so is your haiku tribute to them. Very nice.
The poetry and the photo are both so beautiful. The foxgloves look almost like speckled eggs. So pretty. Thanks for sharing. -Lola from Buddhatropolis.com
I've been carrying on an on-and-off conversation with an acquaintance of the male variety who is going through a divorce and is dealing with the sense of dislocation that results from losing that familiar structure. He's trying to figure out how to be single again and doesn't feel as if he's very good at it. Thinks he never was. I told him I thought that one of the underrated things about marriage is that in a marriage partner, you have a witness to your life. Someone is there to appreciate the moments, big or small. Someone celebrates your accomplishments and helps pick you up when you fall. Someone sees the cloud passing across your face and wonders if you'd like a back rub or cup of tea. Someone listens to your dreams and woes, validates your perceptions or perhaps reorients the way you see things. There are little love pats exchanged in passing, for no reason other than physically reinforce all the spoken "I love you"s. Even when there...
It's Sepia Saturday again. Since my dear mother is recovering from shoulder replacement surgery, I thought I'd feature her image this week. This is little Betty with her dog Spot. She was born in a small town in Oregon, the third of four sisters. The Depression defined her childhood, though I don't know how much she knew or understood. Her high school years were spent in the shadow of World War Two. She went to college at a time when women sought an "MRS." degree. She had a lovely singing voice and often performed as the vocalist for weddings and funerals. I remember once when I was really little that she was on television in Indianapolis. She worked in the library at Butler University, putting Hubby through school, so to speak. She worked on and off through my childhood, when working mothers were somewhat odd and not at all normative. It wasn't a matter of personal choice as much as necessity, because her husband's ministerial salary couldn'...
Comments
so you know the foxglove holds special delight for me!
(suddenly i am swept away with longing for my mendocino life)
xo,
Noelle
Peace
love your ode to her !
Hugs !