Tagged by that Curious Girl (Lisa)


Lisa of Curious Girl, that adorable cutie,
got tagged for a meme and passed the tag along to me.
I'm supposed to pass it along to 5 people.

So here are the rules:
1. open your first photo file folder
2. scroll to the 10th photo in the file
3. post the picture and tell the story behind it
4. tag 5 more people.

Since I've tagged people before
who didn't want to play,
this time I'm inviting all of you
who can't figure out what to post today
 or tomorrow or the next day to play along.

Here's my picture with an explanation.
First of all, I didn't play by the rules (but close enough).


This is from the second folder, because I had deleted most
 of what was in File No. 1.
It's from September 2009.

That lovely September day,
I had to make a trip to a compounding pharmacy
 in Poulsbo, Washington to get some medicine
 for the dog. Poulsbo's a great place for a field trip,
so I called my friend Jen and asked her
 if she was up for an adventure.
She was, so we headed up the road.

The pharmacist said it would be about three hours
 until the medicine was ready.
Plenty of time for browsing.
And lunch.

As you can tell by the photo, there's a candy store
with absolutely scrumptious confections.
I bought a birthday present for another friend
and a few caramels and chocolate truffles for me.

We browsed in a gallery


(Okay - so I can't stop with the sole required photo
when we were in a touristy place for three hours)

and checked out the shops with tourist things
like these t-shirts


which reminded me of trying to swallow
lutefisk (trying being the operative word)
when I was in 8th grade
and how diligent I was in keeping my promise
NEVER
to eat that nasty stuff again.

We peeked down passageways
between buildings on the main street


and the laundry line full of clothes
was a foreshadowing of the trip
I was about to take to Egypt
where every dwelling, country or city,
had a clothesline and hanging things,
though I didn't know it at the time.


I drooled over pastries in the bakery window
while Jen bought bread

and then we window-shopped to our hearts' content


and had a lunch of soup and salad
before going back to pick up the dog's medicine.

A hundred dollars to have them take 120 mg. capsules
and redistribute them into 30 mg. doses --
a hundred dollars, mind you,
on top of the $175 I'd already paid the vet.

So much for the vet saying,
"They'll just charge a nominal fee
 to put it into new capsules."

A hundred dollars is nominal?

If I'd bought four packages of 30 mg. capsules,
the total would have been about $30 less.

Bah humbug to good ideas.
At least the field trip was fun.

Now, it's your turn!

Comments

Delwyn said…
Hi Meri

these pictures accompany your account of the day so well...I was carried along...where was the doogie?

What pray tell, is a lutefisk? at first I read lutefish and could see the meaning in the T shirt message...

Happy days

P.S. I have a bit of a washing line fetish...I love to have one...need one where ever I am...perhaps that is why we have gravitated towards each other...love of washing lines...I hang all my washing outdoors at home and only begrudgingly use the dryer if raining for days on end...
steven said…
meri - i could easily be lost in a day featuring spectacular confection, glass, and pastries. they melt me - no pun intended although . . . . thanks for this cool walk through one of your days!! steven
I'm really glad you didn't follow the rules but went on to give a whole photo tour from that day. And I'm lost about what a lutefisk is as well but it is a great word.
Anonymous said…
you have a way of telling a story that takes me write into the scene and following you along. really enjoyed this post.
Meri said…
For those of you not burdened by Scandinavian heritage, lutefisk is some kind of cold-sea fish that they soak in lye. When it's eaten, it's gelatinous and at least in my humble opinion, tastes disgusting. Its texture is akin to jellyfish. So that's my unappreciative guide to lutefisk.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You