Popular posts from this blog
Postcards from Paradise (Reprise of 2009 Post)
I've been carrying on an on-and-off conversation with an acquaintance of the male variety who is going through a divorce and is dealing with the sense of dislocation that results from losing that familiar structure. He's trying to figure out how to be single again and doesn't feel as if he's very good at it. Thinks he never was. I told him I thought that one of the underrated things about marriage is that in a marriage partner, you have a witness to your life. Someone is there to appreciate the moments, big or small. Someone celebrates your accomplishments and helps pick you up when you fall. Someone sees the cloud passing across your face and wonders if you'd like a back rub or cup of tea. Someone listens to your dreams and woes, validates your perceptions or perhaps reorients the way you see things. There are little love pats exchanged in passing, for no reason other than physically reinforce all the spoken "I love you"s. Even when there...
A Girl and Her Dog
It's Sepia Saturday again. Since my dear mother is recovering from shoulder replacement surgery, I thought I'd feature her image this week. This is little Betty with her dog Spot. She was born in a small town in Oregon, the third of four sisters. The Depression defined her childhood, though I don't know how much she knew or understood. Her high school years were spent in the shadow of World War Two. She went to college at a time when women sought an "MRS." degree. She had a lovely singing voice and often performed as the vocalist for weddings and funerals. I remember once when I was really little that she was on television in Indianapolis. She worked in the library at Butler University, putting Hubby through school, so to speak. She worked on and off through my childhood, when working mothers were somewhat odd and not at all normative. It wasn't a matter of personal choice as much as necessity, because her husband's ministerial salary couldn'...

Comments
It is always important to remember those so close to our hearts an an anniversary date. We feel the tug at our hearts and an emptiness on those occasions. I know that when the anniversary of my mom's passing comes round I always feel it. My heart is with you. Your mom looked very loving and sweet and I am sure that you miss her very much. She passed just 2 years before mine did. We are a little sisterhood aren't we, the newly orphaned daughters in the midst of our lives. I hope that you have a lovely day.
Love,
Noelle
just yesterday helen, an older friend of many years became a great great grandmother. in the course of waxing euphoric on this brand new baby, she suddenly stopped and said how much she missed her mother. how she never stops in any passing moment reaching for the phone and wishing she could call her mom.
i think i am going to call mine right now, even though i just spent the day with her yesterday, and marvel at the sound of her voice.
love you meri
xoxoxoxox
I wanted to say that I realize now that this is your mother-in-law. I am still just as sorry for your loss, but I wanted you to know that I recognized that it was not your own mum.
Love,
Noelle