meri i had to look up those amazing flowers - ranunculus! i love the way the shadows and light play across their petals. thanks for these gorgeous photographs. steven
Steven: Aren't ranunculus amazing? I love how many layers of ruffles they have. The remind me of ballerina tutus. And I just had to play with my new camera. There are some kinds to work out and I think for closeup shots, I'll have to use a different lens.
Maggie: Isn't it a splendid color? And I love the little buds about to pop in the background.
I saw some ranunculus in London today, but they weren't as splendidly and brilliantly colored as these. Did you take these pictures in Mexico? (Don't you think these are Mexican colors?)
To feel the love of people whom we love is a fire that feeds our life. But to feel the affection that comes from those whom we do not know, from those unknown to us, who are watching over our sleep and solitude, over our dangers and our weaknesses -- that is something still greater and more beautiful because it widens out the boundaries of our being, and unites all living things.
Pablo Neruda
your incredible photos give me pause for deep reflection.
I've been carrying on an on-and-off conversation with an acquaintance of the male variety who is going through a divorce and is dealing with the sense of dislocation that results from losing that familiar structure. He's trying to figure out how to be single again and doesn't feel as if he's very good at it. Thinks he never was. I told him I thought that one of the underrated things about marriage is that in a marriage partner, you have a witness to your life. Someone is there to appreciate the moments, big or small. Someone celebrates your accomplishments and helps pick you up when you fall. Someone sees the cloud passing across your face and wonders if you'd like a back rub or cup of tea. Someone listens to your dreams and woes, validates your perceptions or perhaps reorients the way you see things. There are little love pats exchanged in passing, for no reason other than physically reinforce all the spoken "I love you"s. Even when there...
It's Sepia Saturday again. Since my dear mother is recovering from shoulder replacement surgery, I thought I'd feature her image this week. This is little Betty with her dog Spot. She was born in a small town in Oregon, the third of four sisters. The Depression defined her childhood, though I don't know how much she knew or understood. Her high school years were spent in the shadow of World War Two. She went to college at a time when women sought an "MRS." degree. She had a lovely singing voice and often performed as the vocalist for weddings and funerals. I remember once when I was really little that she was on television in Indianapolis. She worked in the library at Butler University, putting Hubby through school, so to speak. She worked on and off through my childhood, when working mothers were somewhat odd and not at all normative. It wasn't a matter of personal choice as much as necessity, because her husband's ministerial salary couldn'...
Comments
Maggie: Isn't it a splendid color? And I love the little buds about to pop in the background.
Wonderful words, too.
But to feel the affection that comes from those whom we do not know, from those
unknown to us, who are watching over our sleep and solitude, over our dangers
and our weaknesses -- that is something still greater and more beautiful because it
widens out the boundaries of our being, and unites all living things.
Pablo Neruda
your incredible photos give me pause for deep reflection.
thank you
I do love the writings of Don Miguel Ruiz.
Hugs and blessings,