Tuesday, November 13, 2012

True Words Tuesday: Anne Lamott





This is one of my favorite quotes
from Anne Lamott's memoir Traveling Mercies



Who hasn't been in this place?

The death of someone you love,
the demise of a significant relationship,
the loss of something by which you defined yourself.

Any of these can transport you to a dire place.

The hard thing to remember is that,
while we can’t control the things that happen to us,
we can choose how to respond.

Suffering is optional, not inevitable.
I wish it hadn't taken me so long to get the truth of this.
Glad I finally did. 

Even if I have to occasionally pull my finger out of the socket.

5 comments:

sperlygirl said...

am copying this down and tucking it away, so true meri, so very true

foxysue said...

So beautiful this image, the words are apt! x

Cynthia Eloise Starr said...

so true, good words to remember.

Pearl said...

Wise woman!

Pearl

Nimue said...

Suffering is optional.

what a precious lesson.
Like the wisdom in this post :)