Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You




Haiku My Heart

i invite you to
imagine living in peace
one day at a time



I have to admit that I'm finding it hard to celebrate
the birthday of my country having declared its independence
from Mother England,
when the country was founded on institutionalized slavery,
the idea that white men were created equal
but but black men were less than
and women weren't even considered.
We tend to glorify the "all men are created equal" phrase
without looking at the reality.

We can do better.
We must.



Comments

Lea said…
Oh Meri... yes. I am imagining this peace with you. That we find, together, a new "fourth" to carry us all forward with humbleness, heart, and finding the ways to walk together on this beautiful earth that is our home, no matter who or what we are. We can do better and must, together.
Oh yes! It is doable.
I will and it's something we all neeed. . .Peace!! Happy 4th of July to you!
J C said…
I always think Peace. Always have.
Marit said…
... and leave each other living in peace to.... (you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one!) Thanks for your words Meri!
That's an excellent thing to imagine...peace!

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem