Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Alternate Self: The Guardian


One of my selves is a beautiful door, ripened with age
and wearing a coat the hue of the Aegean on a cloudless day. 

My eyes are glass or wood
and rimmed with eyelashes of dainty filigree.


I safeguard spirits embodied within
and mark their comings and goings.



"Guardian" © 2009 Meri Arnett-Kremian

Strangers may gaze in my eyes but they will not seduce me.


I cannot be tricked, for the wisdom of the ages
is encoded in my core.


I stand vigilant, waiting, watching, protecting.
Intruders will rue my strength if they try to harm those I love. 

6 comments:

beth said...

ohhhh....I love this !

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

Wow - fabulous words and image Meri!!

Michelle Johnson said...

I couldn't agree more with your statement above. I've been receiving lots of spam lately too. I always delete them so their time is wasted on me...

i love old, dilapidated buildings with doors such as these. it always draws my eye a little closer. your words compliment well. have a great day.

Bagman and Butler said...

Both photograph and poem are exquisite. I once started a series of door poems...such a good metaphor for so many things. Your poem was great.

rebecca said...

always,
you
open me.

thrill my senses and leave me breathless.

HeartFire said...

wonderful words, gorgeous picture!